Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Free open source gaming and documentation

After going to POSSCON, which I had a great time at, I went home and looked into some free open source games. Before this conference I didn't even know that there were open source games, especially  ones that you can contribute to. I found a HUGE list on wiki of open source games and thought I would share a few of them. One that I found really interesting is Gang Garrison 2, which is a 2d version of the game Team Fortress 2. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the source code for this game so I looked around for another interesting game, but one that had the source code easily available. I soon found one called FreeSpace 2 . I know that I don't have a lot of time right now to spend working on a game that isn't school related but I plan on finding/contributing to a game this summer when I have a lot more free time. I went to some other talks at POSSCON, like one about security by Chris Hinkley, another talk I attended was about encouraging Open Source in education by Corey Donohoe. They were very interesting but I can't really do too much with the information that was passed along. The Open Source gaming talk was just right down my alley.


Now on to school related topics.... I've spent some time with one of my group members (Tony) talking about what we need to try to document in the source code. The code isn't really organized at all and there are limited to no comments so we have our work cut out for us, but I really want to be able to submit something that they think is valuable.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment